NC LIVE is seeking candidates with a passion for helping people find, use, and create information. We need your enthusiasm, ideas, and your unique skills to expand the digital possibilities of the state’s academic and public libraries.
At NC LIVE, your work and ideas will make a difference on a statewide level. If you are looking to join an organization with a track record of success, come join us at NC LIVE and help build the next generation of libraries in North Carolina.
NC LIVE is a statewide collaborative venture among the nearly 200 public and academic libraries in North Carolina, including the University of North Carolina System, North Carolina Community College System, the public libraries of North Carolina serving all 100 counties, and North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities. NC LIVE provides all the people of North Carolina with equal access to an essential and powerful array of online resources and related services to support education, enhance economic development, and improve the quality of life of all North Carolinians. The NC LIVE offices are located on the campus of the host institution, North Carolina State University in Raleigh, North Carolina. More information about NC LIVE can be found at: http://www.nclive.org/about.
The Libraries offers a highly competitive salary in recognition of applicable education and experience for this position. Librarians have non-tenure track faculty status (without levels of rank). Benefits include: 24 days vacation, 12 days sick leave; State of NC preferred provider medical insurance, and state, TIAA/CREF, or other retirement options. Additional and optional dental, life, disability, deferred compensation, and legal plans are offered. Tuition waiver program for all campuses of The University of North Carolina is available. More benefits information is available at http://www.ncsu.edu/human_resources/benefits/
· ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS, or equivalent advanced degree in information science, computer science, or related field
· Experience developing or integrating tools with database-driven systems, such as content management and customer relations management systems
· Familiarity with current digital library technologies, standards, and best practices
· Familiarity with Unix/Linux environments
· Familiarity and experience with open source programming languages, including PHP
· Database development experience with relational databases such as mySQL
· Demonstrated ability to effectively listen, speak, write, and otherwise communicate with colleagues and customers in ways that build confidence and satisfaction with individual and organizational performance
· Demonstrated ability to provide technology assistance to non-technical colleagues
· Ability to lead, collaborate, and excel in a team environment
· Previous experience in a library, educational institution, or other knowledge-based organization
· Previous experience with Drupal, SugarCRM
· Experience with XML technologies and relevant metadata standards
· Experience with APIs and/or search engine technologies
· Prior experience troubleshooting Unix-based applications and packages
· Knowledge of user-centered design processes
· Experience working with vendors and managing service level agreements
· Experience working with descriptive metadata
As part of a seven-person team of librarians and information technology professionals, the Systems Librarian will provide technical and project leadership for creatively solving shared problems and advancing digital library collections and services across the entire spectrum of libraries in North Carolina. The successful candidate will also find innovative ways to support teammates and contribute to the shared success of NC LIVE. Work is expected to be in the following areas:
Web, Database, and Application Development
· Adapt, integrate and maintain existing database applications, tools and services, including but not limited to a Customer Relationship Management system, a web Content Management System, intranet tools, proxy and authentication services, among others
· Develop new digital library services through an iterative process that emphasizes performance, usability, and sustainability
· Develop/maintain customer-facing tools and back-end services that support ongoing data analysis of consortial content and services and digital library projects
· Identify emerging technologies that have potential for new and improved consortial library services
· Collaborate closely with member librarians and development staff to adapt their locally created tools and services to NC LIVE’s service environment
· Act as the consortium’s liaison to our network service provider (MCNC), facilitating the development, maintenance, and management of server infrastructure.
· Manage and contribute to organizational projects using standard project management processes
· Provide oversight and direction to NC LIVE’s procurement, optimization, and use of descriptive metadata.
· Act as technical expert for staff who advocate on behalf of member libraries with service providers and partners
· Monitor and facilitate the resolution process of technical issues related to NC LIVE sponsored content and services
· Provide consulting services to member libraries in areas of expertise
· Build relationships with vendors to ensure the best match of service to organizational needs
· Support and facilitate the Advisory Committees by helping them set priorities, evaluate service, and formulate recommended processes and guidelines
This position is available immediately; start date is negotiable.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt; applications will be accepted until finalist candidates are selected. The nomination committee may invite candidates for confidential, pre-interview screenings. Appointment requires successful completion of background check.
Applicants must apply through the NC State University online employment website at https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/43588. Complete application, attach cover letter and résumé, and provide contact information for four current, professional references. For assistance with this process contact NCSU Libraries Personnel Services Office (919) 515-3522.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
See vacancy announcement and application instructions at: http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/jobs/epa/ncl_va