TITLE: Circulation Supervisor
LIBRARY: Pearsall Library, North Carolina Wesleyan College
CITY: Rocky Mount, North Carolina 27804
North Carolina Wesleyan College seeks a reliable service-oriented individual to manage Circulation functions, supervise library student assistants, and help to maintain the library’s collections to ensure that library materials are well-organized and easily accessible. The Circulation Supervisor is effectively responsible for developing and maintaining systems that assure the library runs smoothly during all operating hours. The Circulation Supervisor plans, organizes, and manages circulation functions and procedures. Supervises library student assistants and manages the work-study payroll. Oversees the maintenance of all library stacks areas to ensure that library materials are well-organized and easily accessible to patrons. Develops good relationships with library users and promotes use of the library to the community. Understands library services and resources and assists users with basic reference and technology questions. Helps staff the library during evening and weekend hours.
SALARY: Competitive hourly rate.
Candidates for this position should have: A bachelor’s degree with two years of work experience or an associate degree with four years of work experience. Strong customer service orientation and interpersonal skills to build relationships with faculty, staff, and students, and to work effectively with library staff and student assistants. The ability to supervise others effectively and to develop appropriate training and support systems for student workers. Strong organizational skills and technology skills including a high degree of comfort with MS Office applications (especially Word, Excel, and Access), the Internet, and electronic mail. Strong attention to detail with the ability to handle multi-tasking and to work in a busy office setting with frequent interruptions. Effective oral and written communication skills. The ability to work as a member of a team and independently. The ability to climb stairs and handle some light lifting. Supervisory experience, library experience, and familiarity with library circulation functions are desirable.
• Plan, organize, maintain, and manage the processes and operations of the Circulation Desk. This includes maintaining patron records, managing fines and fees, and handling library cash and deposits.
• Supervise library student assistants ensuring that they provide appropriate service to library users and smooth and efficient operation of public services. Responsibilities include hiring, training, scheduling, and managing payroll. Interact with student assistants in a positive manner; give clear oral and written instructions; be effective in training these students, motivating them, and helping them develop effective work skills. Establish effective training and support systems for student workers including online guides and manuals; provide clear explanations of library policies and procedures; and provide appropriate supervision and discipline for student workers. Work with other staff to teach student assistants the skills they need to be effective library assistants and to develop into productive professionals.
• Manage the work-study payroll, including managing student schedules to meet the budget, teaching student workers how to complete time sheets, making sure student time sheets are accurate and submitted for payment on time, and tracking spending to assure spending does not exceed the available funds.
• Work with other staff to develop, implement, and administer library circulation policies, procedures, and services that are clear and effective in guiding staff members in service to the institution.
• Develop good relationships with library users, including students, faculty, and staff, as well as library student assistants. Promote use of the library, its programs and services to the community. Maintain the service image of the library, assuring good basic services and providing effective signage about library hours and services.
• Oversee the maintenance of all library stacks areas to ensure that library materials are well-organized and easily accessible to patrons. Teach student assistants to shelve library materials correctly, to maintain library collections, to perform regular shelf-reading, and to shift collections as needed. Develop effective systems for stacks maintenance.
• Maintain appropriate library use and circulation statistics.
• Be familiar with library services and resources and provide basic reference and technology assistance to library users. Help staff the library during evening and weekend hours.
• Manage office equipment including library security control systems, copiers, printers, reader-printers, and fax machine. Train other staff and student assistants to use library equipment.
• Manage mail delivery, establishing a regular schedule for pick-up and delivery of incoming and outgoing mail. Maintain library supplies, including toner for printers as well as office supplies.
• Manage reservations for library rooms and equipment.
• In consultation with other staff, manage the sale and disposal of withdrawn and gift books.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of the Library.
This position will be available January 1, 2016.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
To apply, please send a letter of application, résumé, and list of references to:
Katherine R. Winslow
North Carolina Wesleyan College
3400 N. Wesleyan Blvd.
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
An equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Kathy Winslow, Director of the Library