Position Title: Assistant State Librarian
Library: State Library of North Carolina, NC Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
City: Raleigh, NC
Salary Grade: GN16
The Department of Natural and Cultural Resources‘ (DNCR) vision is to be the leader in using the state’s natural and cultural resources to build the social, cultural, educational, and economic future of North Carolina. Our mission is to improve quality of life by creating opportunities to experience excellence in the arts, history, libraries, and nature throughout North Carolina. The Department works to stimulate learning, inspire creativity, preserve the state’s history, conserve the state’s natural heritage, encourage recreation and cultural tourism, and promote economic development. Our goal is to promote equity and inclusion among our employees and our programming to reflect and celebrate our state’s diverse population, culture, and history by expanding engagement with diverse individuals and communities. We encourage you to apply to become a part of our team. The State Library of North Carolina is the principal library of state government, with a mission to build the capacity of all libraries in North Carolina and to provide access to specialized collections for its residents. The State Library is composed of three major programs: The Government & Heritage Library (GHL), the Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, and Library Development.
The State Library of North Carolina is the principal library of state government, with a mission to build the capacity of all libraries in North Carolina and to provide access to specialized collections for its residents. The State Library is composed of three major programs: The Government & Heritage Library (GHL), the Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, and Library Development.
Description of Work
The Assistant State Librarian functions as Chief Operating Officer for the State Library with direct daily oversight of and responsibility for the Library’s human resources management (currently 69 employees), budget management (state budget and federal LSTA funds allocated from the IMLS Grants to States program), facilities operations (two facilities in Raleigh), and procurement activities. Position is responsible for Library operations in the absence of the State Librarian and is a member of the Library’s senior management team which provides strategic leadership for the Library and the programs and services offered by the Government & Heritage Library, the Library for the Blind & Physically Handicapped, and Library Development staff. The position represents the State Library at meetings and disseminates information through written communication and presentations and must be able to convey information clearly and concisely in writing and verbally. Position ensures that Library policies and procedures are consistent and state government and DCR policy and practices and support the Library’s strategic goals.
- Demonstrated management experience in a North Carolina library.
- Three or more years’ experience at library director or senior manager level.
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing a communication plan.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
- Extensive knowledge of practices and trends in library and information science; public management principles and practices; financial budgeting theory and practices; and state government regulations, policies and procedures;
- Proven comprehensive understanding of the role of the State Library and its resources, services and programs;
- Demonstrated ability to lead a human resources program; guide workforce development; and ensure compliance with policies and procedures;
- Demonstrated ability to direct budget development, implementation, and management; approve and monitor expenditures; and ensure compliance with policies and procedures;
- Demonstrated ability to organize, analyze, and document information and data to identify trends and issues;
- Proven ability to convey information clearly and concisely through public presentations;
- Demonstrated ability strategically plan and implement change initiatives; and develop collaborative relationships to facilitate accomplishment of goals.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Master’s degree in library and information science or a related discipline from an appropriately accredited institution
- Five years of professional librarian experience, three of which should have been in a supervisory, consultative, or administrative capacity;
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Apply by: 4/15/2019, 5:00 PM Eastern
For More Information and to Apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/northcarolina/jobs/2341107/assistant-state-librarian-state-library-division
Questions: Contact the NC Office of State Human Resources at 919-807-4800.