Job Title: Metadata and Cataloging Librarian
Library: Belk Library & Information Commons, Appalachian State University
City: Boone, NC
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library or information science or equivalent. Related PhD fields will also be considered.
- Minimum of 1 year library experience at the professional level.
- Knowledge of or experience working with an Integrated Library System or a Next-Generation (NextGen) system.
- Experience organizing or managing projects.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively both individually and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Working knowledge of one or more of the following metadata standards: Dublin Core, HTML, XML, MODS, markup languages, etc.
- Working knowledge of RDA, MARC, LCSH, and LC classification and OCLC.
- Experience performing complex original cataloging, including – but not limited to – electronic formats, audio-visual materials, and realia.
- Supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience with applying metadata standards to describe digital collections.
- Experience with digital library platforms.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with archival standards (DACS) and practice.
- Knowledge of emerging metadata standards, such as linked data, RDFand ontologies as well as emerging library applications (e.g., BIBFRAME) and name identifier systems (e.g., ORCID, ISNI).
- Awareness and dedication to the trends in diversity initiatives in cataloging such as Critical Librarianship (‘critlib’) and Radical Cataloging (‘radcat’).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The University Libraries at Appalachian State University seeks an innovative Metadata and Cataloging Librarian to support discovery of and access to the Library and Special Collections digital content through metadata creation, analysis, enrichment, and maintenance by coordinating the workflow of metadata management and projects among Resource Acquisition and Management (RAM), Special Collections and University Archives, and Digital Scholarship & Initiatives (DSI) teams.
This position will perform original complex cataloging in all formats, including audio-visual materials. This position is responsible for providing leadership and functional expertise to supervise the work of four staff members in the Metadata and Cataloging unit. This position reports to the RAM Coordinator (Head of Technical Services) and will work closely with the Special Collections and University Archives and Digital Scholarship and Initiatives teams.
Librarians work in a collegial team-based environment, are members of the University faculty, and engage in active programs of scholarship and professional service. The Library offers strong support for professional development activities, including publishing, presenting, and attending conferences and workshops.
Throughout their teaching, research, and service duties, the successful applicant should promote diversity and inclusive excellence.
Apply by: October 31, 2019
For additional information and to apply: https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/23652
Questions: Contact Kimberly Sims at email@example.com