TITLE: LIBRARIAN II – BRANCH MANAGER
ASSIGNMENT: Regular / Full-time
WORK SCHEDULE: Mon – Fri, 8:30 am – 5:30 pm, with occasional nights and weekends
WORK LOCATION: Holly Springs Community Library
SALARY: $50,440.00 – $90,792.00
EXPECTED HIRING RANGE: $50,440-$70,616
NOTE: The current Regional Library Manager vacancy is at the Holly Springs Community Library. The Holly Springs Community library is is located at 300 W. Ballentine St., Holly Springs, NC 27540.
Position Description: Library Managers in WCPL Community Libraries have the primary responsibility for the daily operations and supervision of staff in those locations. Staffing consists of Youth Services Librarian(s), Library Assistants, and Pages. Administration relies on Community Library Managers to ensure that the library is opened on schedule, that the facility is attractive and well-maintained, that the library has adequate staffing scheduled to provide excellent customer service, and that staff provide a program of service that meets the expectations and program models set on a system level. Program of service in a Community Library includes collections, traditional reference and reader’s advisory services, public computers, and programs for youth. Community Libraries present between 5 and 9 core story-time and school-age programs on a weekly basis, with the addition of special monthly programs for the school-aged child and the Teen Leadership Corps. Each Library Manager works with the Deputy Library Director and Senior Library Managers to plan for services, staffing, and programs at their location.
Key Responsibilities of a Community Library Manager:
- Ensure all aspects of the library are functioning well by working with other departments and administration to accomplish library’s goals
- Evaluate programs and services to best meet the needs of the community
- Supervise and evaluate library staff
- Address library collection and staffing needs
- Complete project based work on the system level as needed
- Plan and facilitate staff meetings
- Participate in peer group meetings
- Provide training and professional development opportunities for staff
- Contribute to the creation of daily, weekly and monthly schedules
- Communicate system priorities, decisions, and policies to staff in a timely manner
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Competencies:
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills.
• Ability to build and maintain positive, productive relationships with staff, peers, colleagues, and public.
• Ability to lead and motivate staff while fostering mentoring relationships.
• Demonstrate a high level of energy with the ability to plan and implement in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to create vision and goals on a local level that support larger organizational goals.
• Demonstrate a high degree of adaptability and good problem-solving skills.
• Confident self-starter who is proactive and has the ability to work both independently and with a team.
• Strong technology skills, ex. Word, Excel, library specific applications and databases.
Master’s Degree in Librarianship or related field: MLS, MLIS, MIS, ML from an ALA accredited program or NC program and one year of professional public library experience.
Preferred Experience, Skills and Training (beyond the minimum requirements):
Three years of professional public library experience and one year of public library management experience.
Background/EEOC Policy: Position may require a background check. Unless required by state law, a record of conviction will not automatically exclude you from consideration for employment. Wake County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Wake County: Home to the State Capital, Wake County is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation and the second-most populous county in the state, with approximately 1,000,000 residents. The County has received national and international rankings and accolades from publications such as Money, Fortune, and Time magazines as being one of the best places to live, work and play. The central location of the County allows for a short drive to the spectacular mountains or coast. Wake County Government is governed by a seven-member Board of Commissioners, who are elected at-large to serve four-year terms. Wake County Government has a general operating budget of $1.26 billion, employs approximately 4,000 employees, experiences minimal turnover, and is an award -winning leader in wellness and technology initiatives; such as offering employees and covered spouses free access to the Employee Health Center. Wake County Government offers a wide range of training and development opportunities, a stable career in public service with a balance of work and family life, flexible work schedules and a competitive salary and benefits package. http://www.wakegov.com/employment/benefits/Documents/Wake%20County%20Benefits%20Summary.pdf
HOW TO APPLY: Submit fully completed application, resume, and cover letter at www.WakeGov.com/Employment prior to 11:59pm on March 14, 2018. Reference Auto Requisition ID 4303R.
QUESTIONS: Please contact Rea Brown, Recruitment, Classification & Compensation Consultant, at Rea.Brown@wakegov.com or 919-856-6097.
Wake County Government is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.