ROCKINGHAM COUNTY GOVERNMENT invites applications for the position of Youth Services Librarian.
CLOSING DATE: 10/10/17 05:00 PM
Rockingham County is an equal opportunity employer and will comply with federal and state statutes regarding discrimination in employment matters.
Performs intermediate administrative duties in Youth Services (YS) programs in four libraries, providing library and outreach programs, YS reference services, planning and conducting programs and activities, developing and updating collection, selecting materials, assisting patrons, assisting with grant funding, maintaining records, preparing reports, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Library Director. Provides supervision to library personnel assisting YS.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
• Provides programming in all YS age levels such as Story Time (infant to 6th) grade, Teen and Summer Reading.
• Assists with the supervision of the daily operation of a branch library as it pertains to YS; provides general library services including reference, reader’s advisory and other patron assistance services.
• Develops and maintains YS library collections; assists with material acquisitions; evaluates, selects and orders new library materials; processes incoming new materials; sorts and identifies materials for replacement.
• Researches grant opportunities; researches prospects; organizes grant partnerships and collaborations; develops grant budgets; prepares and submits proposals.
• Supervises staff and volunteers assisting YS; assigns, directs, trains and inspects the work of personnel; develops work schedules for YS.
• Enforces policies, procedures and rules to patrons; helps establish procedures for Youth Services; resolves problems when necessary.
• Prepares and submits reports for Youth Services on circulation statistics and library usage; assists with compiling statistics for annual report; assists with the preparation of grant applications and other relevant documentation.
• Aides in monitoring building and grounds; requests maintenance and repair and needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
As it relates to their position, has a thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of modern library operation; thorough knowledge of reader interest levels; thorough knowledge of library reference, and Youth services; thorough knowledge of library system computer applications; thorough knowledge of library reference materials and research techniques; thorough knowledge of the library circulation functions; skill in the use of library equipment, materials and resources; ability to maintain accurate records and statistics and complete accurate reports; ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment; ability to communicate ideas effectively both orally and in writing; ability to plan and supervise the work of subordinate personnel; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library patrons, associates, municipal officials and vendors.
This work requires the regular exertion of up to 10 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 25 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel and repetitive motions, frequently requires standing, walking and reaching with hands and arms and occasionally requires sitting, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling and lifting; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to fumes or airborne particles and exposure to blood borne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a quiet location (e.g. library, private offices).
Has a Master’s degree in library and information science, with moderate experience in a public library including supervisory experience, or equivalent experience. Strong education background and/or School Media Specialist is beneficial.
Possession of North Carolina Public Librarian certification or eligibility to obtain.
Valid driver’s license.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
Questions: Please contact Nichole McLaughlin, HR Director, at email@example.com or (336) 342-8112.