TITLE: Community Services Consultant
LIBRARY: Northwestern Regional Library
CITY: Elkin (Headquarters)
The Northwestern Regional Library is recruiting for an energetic and versatile Professional Librarian with excellent customer and information services, programming, collaboration, collection development, technology, and outreach skills who is enthusiastic about the library as a community center.
The area is predominately rural with small and medium-sized towns with active cultural and recreational opportunities. The service area is comprised of Alleghany, Stokes, Surry, and Yadkin Counties in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and scenic foothills. This position is a good opportunity for an early career professional librarian who seeks to exercise a variety of skills and will provide opportunity to participate and engage in a wide-range of library operations.
This position facilitates and assists in providing professional library services to all thirteen libraries in the Northwestern Regional Library in the library, online, and community for all ages with an emphasis on youth. Position requires excellent and effective interpersonal skills, initiative, project management, and technology skills to build effective collaborative relationships and services and to identify positive solutions. This position will work closely with the Regional Director but will travel and consult with staff in all thirteen branch libraries in the system.
SALARY: $43,968 – $45,067 (Negotiable Dependent on Qualifications); Health Insurance; Membership in NC Retirement System; Annual Leave/Holidays
• MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited library school
• NC Public Librarian Certification (may obtain following hire)
• 3-5 years professional experience in a public library with management experience
• Valid NC driver’s license with good driving record
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking and
• Strong experience with technologies including Internet web browsers and
• Productivity software including Microsoft Office
• Experience with web design and maintenance
• Promote community engagement with community agencies and organizations
• Support technical services operations. The region is an NC Cardinal member.
• Provide consultation for regional youth services activities including attending State Library and regional workshops.
• Participate in collection development activities of the region including material selection.
• With the director, plan and execute professional opportunities for regional staff; conduct
assessments to identify unmet needs.
• Represent the library system and communicate the library’s mission to internal and external audiences.
• Maintain current awareness of professional issues and innovations.
• Regularly evaluate library programs and services.
• Identify, build, and maintain active collaborations and partnerships between libraries and organizations with an interest in libraries and youth.
APPLY BY: January 15, 2018
TO APPLY: Send letter, application, resume and three references to Director, Northwestern Regional Library, 111 N. Front St., Elkin, NC 28621 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications and full job description available online at www.nwrl.org. For questions, call 336-835-4894.
Applications are available at all libraries of the Northwestern Regional Library.