Research Assistant Professor / Head of Access Services Librarian
Vacancy #: 001595
Salary Range: Commensurate with Qualifications
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Organizational Unit Overview
The William E. Laupus Health Sciences Library (Laupus Library) serves as the primary information resource center for the University’s instructional, research, and patient care programs in the health sciences. It also serves as the comprehensive information resource center for health care professionals who practice in northeastern North Carolina. In addition, the Laupus Library serves as a secondary resource for nontechnical health care information for health care consumers in the local community. The Laupus Library emphasizes proactive information provision including the acquisition of current and relevant materials, reference services that recognize the existence of diverse levels of client expertise and needs, and the implementation of new technologies for accessing and managing information.
Laupus Library at East Carolina University (ECU) seeks an enthusiastic, service-oriented, and innovative individual for the position of Head of Access Services Librarian. This position manages all day to day operations of the Access Services department including: supervision and leadership of staff, workflow and work assignments, circulation of materials, interlibrary loan, standard operating practices, user assessment and engagement, and coordination of schedules for staffing of the Service Desk. This librarian is also member of the Information Services Department and provides reference assistance.
Reference duties include but are not limited to: regular reference shifts at the Service Desk, evidence based literature searches, instruction and assistance on information resources and databases both onsite and via the web, consultations with research faculty to provide professional literature searching, partnering with teaching faculty to provide library and information literacy instruction classes or other learning objects for students, and assisting liaison librarians as needed.
This librarian is expected to be active in professional library organizations and is expected to set and pursue professional and service goals.
This position reports to the Associate Director of Laupus Library.
• Lead and supervise the staff of Access Services
• Manage scheduling and compliance with all policies including time management and all other such standard operating procedures
• Provide professional reference assistance and work regular reference shifts at the Service Desk
• Assist liaison librarians with teaching, projects and other such work as needed
• Conduct performance evaluations for Access Services staff
• Monitor and consult with Library Administration about best practices for library hours, staffing, opening and closing procedures, security, and other such issues
• Coordinate and maintain compliance with all Standard Operating Procedures for fine, fees, and other such transactions
• Coordinate best practices for circulation of all materials including but not limited to: anatomical models, laptops and similar equipment, books and AV material
This is a fixed-term faculty position at the title of Research Assistant Professor or Research Associate Professor depending on qualifications.
ALA-accredited master’s degree or international equivalent in library or information science.
3 years of supervisory experience within the last 5 years.
Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff and library users.
Demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service and demonstrated ability to instill outstanding customer service values in direct reports.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
• More than 3 years of supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated experience in the interpretation of standard operating procedures.
• Commitment to innovative and successful user services projects and practices.
• Experience with high level literature searching in an Academic Health Sciences environment.
• Experience supporting and working with research faculty and staff.
Special Instructions to Applicant
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
• Curriculum Vitae
• Letter of Interest
• List of Three References (noting contact information)
Additional Instructions to Applicants
Applications will be considered until position is filled. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy # 001595 to ECU Human Resources at http://jobs.ecu.edu.
Questions: Please contact Kathy Massey at email@example.com.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at http://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/11154.