Job Title: Program and Young Adult Library Assistant
Weekly Hours: 15-20 (will vary as needed)
Reports to: Library Director
Rate of Pay: $9.00 – $10.00 per hour
The Program Library Assistant will collaborate with the Library Director to schedule, plan, promote, and organizing library events and fundraisers and assist patrons/staff with the daily operational needs of the library. This position will also require attending most library events, so that the schedule and hours will vary with some required after hours and some Saturdays (10 am – 1 pm) will be required.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist patrons with any reference questions, requests, or general inquiries and in the computer lab
• Circulation as needed – checking in/out materials, placing holds, paying fines, finding books, etc.
• Create signs, flyers, displays, and publication materials for library services and events
• Market programs in-house, online, and through social media
• Assist with weekly/routine website updates
• Collaborate with and propose library programs to the Library Director
• Plan and conduct young adult library events and activities
• Collaborate with co-workers to plan and conduct middle school summer reading, acting as Lead
• Plan and organize youth programming (Grades 6-12)
• Assist in ordering Young Adult material and maintaining young adult collection
• Help with fundraising events and requesting donations
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
• Opening and closing the library
• Getting materials from the book drop
• Shelving/straightening books and other materials as needed
• Back-up storyteller as needed
• Going through donated materials
• Attend continuing education trainings/workshops
• Other duties as assigned
This position is responsible for overseeing library volunteers as well as representing the library and making decisions based upon library goals when the director is absent.
Qualifications & Skills:
REQUIRED: Word processing and computer skills, experience using social media.
PREFERRED: Coursework or interest in Library and Information Studies.
PHYSICAL: Must be able to stand and sit for long periods. Must be able to walk up stairs, lift and carry up to 25 lbs.