Job Title: Library Assistant: Library Assistant
Weekly Hours: 15-20 (will vary as needed)
Reports to: Library Director
Rate of Pay: $9.00-10.00 per hour
The Library Assistant is responsible for performing a wide variety of general library duties in order to assist patrons/staff with the daily operational needs of the library and will serve as an assistant to all other positions as needed. Schedule and hours will vary; some Saturdays (10 am – 1 pm) will be required.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist patrons with any reference questions, requests, or general inquiries and in the computer lab.
• Circulation as needed – checking in/out materials, placing holds, paying fines, finding books, etc.
• Assist with library programs, events, and activities, fundraisers, and summer reading program.
• Manage the “new fiction” area
• Manage hold requests and list
• Add new materials to library billboards and managing other displays
• Catalog and organize magazines
• Write letter acknowledgements for donations and donation requests
• Refill & maintain children’s activity packs
• Schedule art exhibit space and finding local artists
• Assist with other library duties as needed
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
• Opening and closing the library
• Getting books and materials from the book drop
• Shelving/straightening books and other materials as needed
• Back-up storyteller as needed
• Going through donated materials
• Attend continuing education trainings/workshops
• Other duties as assigned
This position is responsible for overseeing library volunteers as well as representing the library and making decisions based upon library goals when the director is absent.
Qualifications & Skills:
REQUIRED: Word processing and computer skills are needed.
PREFERRED: Coursework or interest in Library and Information Studies
PHYSICAL: Must be able to stand and sit for long periods. Must be able to walk upstairs, lift and carry up to 25 lbs.