TITLE: Librarian IV/Regional Branch Manager #117000038
LIBRARY: Cumberland County Public Library & Information Center
CITY: Fayetteville, NC
Master of Library Science degree (MLS) required. Must have 4 ½ years experience as a MLS professional librarian in a public library and two years of library supervisory experience. Trainee candidates must have at least 4 years experience as a MLS professional librarian in a public library and 1 ½ years of library supervisory experience
Selected applicant must have or obtain, and maintain a valid North Carolina driver’s license with an acceptable driving record; must have access to transportation; background check with local law enforcement agency required; and must submit to a drug-screening test and receive a negative result for the use of drugs specified in the county policy. Refusal to submit to testing or a confirmed positive test shall be basis for withdrawal of the conditional employment offer.
An employee in this position is responsible for performing complex professional library work and administering a Regional Branch Library. Considerable independent judgment and initiative as well as interpersonal skills are needed to coordinate work of others. Tact and courtesy are required. Responsible for the supervision of subordinate staff. Position includes supervision of a Community Branch Manager/Librarian III and/or other significant system wide service. Work is performed under general supervision and is evaluated in conferences and by review of reports and work plans.
- Hires, supervises, trains, and evaluates, department managers, and branch staff to ensure policies and procedures are followed and library goals are met.
- Oversees all branch services including Information and Outreach Services, Youth Services, Circulation Services and Paging.
- May be given responsibility for materials selection for the library system as a whole.
- May be responsible for expending an assigned portion of the library collections budget.
- Provides advanced reference and readers’ advisory services for customers in the public services areas.
- Chairs task forces and/or ongoing committees, and oversees special projects as assigned; e.g. grant-writing.
- Ensures safety and security for all staff and customers, and that the building and grounds are maintained.
- Purges the collection of obsolete and/or worn materials.
- Reviews branch purchase requests from customers and reviews customer donations to determine which material is added to collection.
- Participates in Public Service Managers’ and Directors’ Advisory Council Meetings monthly.
- Keeps staff informed of system wide initiatives; promotes library trends and new technologies to branch staff.
- Maintains a well-organized, current, Branch collection by making recommendations for new and retrospective materials to the Division Manager for Collection Development & Technology Innovation.
- Identifies characteristics of the branch service area in order to recommend materials and to plan and present needed programs, services, and community outreach activities in response to the changing needs of the community.
- Consults with Community Branch Manager concerning the needs of their service area.
- Compiles, prepares, and maintains essential reports, records, and statistics. Submits a monthly report of section activities to the Deputy Director. Submits monthly report to Director highlighting customer transactions and branch successes.
- Participates in budget preparation process by submitting recommendations for equipment, personnel and supplies.
- Discusses with supervisor work methods, problems, and short and long-range developments and/or plans.
- Hires, supervises, trains, and evaluates Community Branch Manager.
- Maintains membership in N.C. Library Association.
- Participates in professional development opportunities to keep abreast of current library trends.
- Maintains an oversight relationship between regional and community branches; schedules regional staff to assist community location during staff shortages.
APPLY BY: Open until filled
TO APPLY: We accept on-line applications only. You may complete the application from our website at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cumberlandcountync/default.cfm.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed county application.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Contact Ms. Dagmar Aerdelman at (910) 483-7727 extension 1305 or firstname.lastname@example.org or the Cumberland County Human Resources Department at (910) 678-7653.