POSITION: Library Director
DEPARTMENT: Duplin County Library
STARTING SALARY: $23.1058 Hourly/ $48,060 Annually (Grade 77)
CLOSING DATE: 09/08/17, 5:00 P.M.
APPLY AT: Duplin County Personnel Office, County Administration Building, 224 Seminary Street, Kenansville, NC 28349, 910-296-2174
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under administrative direction, the purpose of the position is to plan, organize, manage and direct the operations of the public library system. Employees in this classification perform professional and managerial work. Position is responsible for determining the financial needs of the libraries; supervising the work of library staff; and supervising the selection of materials. Performs related work as required.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Determines the financial needs of the library; develops departmental budget; supervises expenditures and administration of budget, seeks and writes grants for library system.
- Supervises the work of library staff and confers with and advises mid-management staff on problems related to the administration of the library services, instructs supervisory personnel in general policies and procedures and conducts staff conferences, meetings, and training.
- Supervises the selection of books and other materials and electronic services.
- Assists paraprofessional staff in the performance of patron service activities as manpower needs require.
- Plans, develops, and installs mechanized systems for library operations.
- Investigates new library techniques and procedures; revises present methods to improve the services; evaluates existing programs and practices.
- Studies methods and makes plans to develop the services of the library to meet more effectively the present and future community needs; establishes programs and services of the library consistent with community expectations; reviews procedural and operational details for refinements.
- Plans publicity/marketing programs; participates in community activities and educational programs; serves on boards, including Smart Start.
- Acts as secretary to the Board of Trustees; advises Board; attends meetings; represents Board of Trustees at County Commissioners meetings.
- Supervises the maintenance of library buildings, grounds, and related property.
- Attends professional meetings, conferences, workshops and seminars to keep abreast of new methods, technologies, and legislation.
While the following tasks are necessary for the work of the unit, they are not an essential part of the purpose of this position and may also be performed by other unit members.
- Performs general circulation duties, including reader’s advisory and reference; processes materials.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in library science, or closely related field; supplemented by three (3) to five (5) years previous experience and/or training that includes professional library work; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Must have computer skills to pass Level I and Level II Technology Competencies tests.
- Certifiable under the rules of the North Carolina Public Librarians Certification Commission. Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the State of North Carolina.
- In accordance with the county’s drug free workplace policy, employees will be subject to pre-employment and random drug screening.
- Pass Level I and Level II Technology Competency tests.
** This is a re-advertised position. Originally posted on this site 1/31/17 and 4/7/17. **