LIBRARY: Catawba County Library – Southwest Branch Library
CITY: Hickory, NC
NOTE: Catawba County Library System is recruiting for a Professional Librarian with excellent customer service, programming and information service skills, who is enthusiastic about the value of early literacy and lifelong learning. We invite you to join our efforts to empower lives and build our community by bringing people, information and ideas together. This librarian position facilitates and provides professional library services to customers of all ages, meeting the needs of the community, and oversees branch operations and personnel at the Southwest Branch Library.
SALARY: $20.30 Hourly, $42,221.90 Annually, including benefits (full benefits description available at job ad.)
• Master’s Degree in Library Science (ALA accredited preferred)
• NC Public Library Certification (may obtain following hire)
• A valid driver’s license with a safe driving record
• Ability to maintain excellent working relationships with staff, other County employees, community leaders, and the general public, which includes promoting community interest in library services
• Considerable knowledge of library services and reading materials for all ages
• Extensive experience with technologies including Internet web browsers and productivity software including Microsoft Office Suite, and resume and job searching skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and strong analytical thinking skills
• Ability to perform research using library equipment and resources
• Highly motivated, with initiative and ability to work successfully independently as well as in a collaborative team environment
• Ability to instruct staff and public in use of library resources and technology
• Position is considered light duty, lifting up to 20 pounds on a regular basis.
CUSTOMER AND LIBRARY SERVICES
• Provide a full range of circulation services, including customer registration and transactions.
• Provide reference, reader’s advisory and instructional services in individual and group settings using print and electronic information resources.
• Trouble shoot problems and ensure cash register and coin-op reconciliation as needed.
• Provide highly interactive Every Child Ready to Read story programs to ensure children start school ready to learn and positioned to excel, and promote caregiver engagement in early literacy learning.
• Provide engaging hands-on learning opportunities to enhance Catawba County students’ interest and knowledge in science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM) concepts.
• Work with the Summer Reading team to plan, implement and coordinate the Summer Reading program for children, teens and adults at the Southwest Branch.
• Create and implement a regular schedule of computer workshops, job skills training and one-on-one assistance to ensure technology access across the community, bridge the digital divide, and to support personal growth and further career readiness for citizens.
• Develop, publicize, and implement a regular schedule of culturally and intellectually diverse life-long learning opportunities and events for all age groups which encourage reading, viewing, and listening and the use of the library facilities and materials.
• Participate on the Collection Development team to evaluate and select materials for library acquisition.
• Participate on the Technology Team to maintain, evaluate and update branch technology resources, and assists customers individually and in groups.
• Engage in outreach and serve as a liaison to community agencies that serve children and their caregivers, including schools, daycares and preschools, and other community organizations to build community presence and raise awareness of the library’s essential role in early literacy, lifelong learning, and economic revitalization.
• Work collaboratively with Catawba County School systems to support student learning through implementation of collaborative access and learning project plans.
• Collaborate and communicate with a wide variety of individuals including library staff, Friends of the Library, City and County agencies and community leaders to develop strategies for engaging the community and moving the Library forward.
• Facilitate a welcoming library facility and responsive public services by proactively maintaining library facilities, services, collections, and equipment that are convenient, accurate and meet community needs: promptly addressing facility issues, opening and closing the library, handling emergency situations.
• Facilitate and contribute in a work environment that encourages high performance, collaboration, innovation and customer service, modeling and ensuring excellence in service with staff and volunteers.
• Serve as manager for and supervise and conduct annual evaluations for staff at the Southwest Branch Library.
• Prepare statistics and reports related to programming and reference services, and facilitate performance measurements demonstrating successful achievement of library outcomes.
• Seek and develop grants and other sources of funding for programs.
APPLY BY: Open until filled.
Apply online at www.catawbacountync.gov. For questions, call (828) 465-8383. Although accompanying resumes are welcome, a completed Catawba County application is required in order to be considered. Catawba County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pre-employment drug tests and criminal background checks are required on final internal and external candidate(s) applying for positions with the County.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION or QUESTIONS: Go to www.catawbacountync.gov click on the link for job openings on the left hand side of the page.
You can also contact Siobhan Loendorf, Catawba County Library Assistant Director, at 828-465-8292 or SLoendorf@CatawbaCountyNC.gov.