LIBRARY DIRECTOR II
Salary Range: $52,060.97 – $71,000.00
Deadline to receive applications and How to Apply:
Interested applicants should complete and submit a Haywood County Government employment application to:
Kathi McClure, PHR, SHRM-CP
Human Resources Director
215 N. Main Street
Waynesville, NC 28786
Kathi McClure, PHR, SHRM-CP
c/o Haywood County NC Works Career Center
1170 N. Main Street
Waynesville, NC 28786
Applications are available online at www.haywoodnc.net, through the local office of the Haywood County NC Works Career Center and in the Human Resource Department located on the 5th floor of the Historic Courthouse in Waynesville, NC.
DEADLINE TO RECEIVE APPLICATIONS IS: OPEN UNTI FILLED
General Description of Position:
The purpose of the position is to perform complex professional work involving planning, directing and coordinating the administrative and operational aspects of the County’s public library system. The position reports to and is supervised by the County Manager. Duties include administering all appropriate library policies and procedures and being responsible for financial and programmatic operations within the library system. This position is responsible for supervision of all Library personnel.
A more detailed job description will be available upon request.
Essential Tasks of Position:
• Develops, plans and evaluates library services and programs for the County
• Develops, implements and evaluates library operating policies and procedures consistent with all federal, state and local ordinances and policies
• Manages all library operations daily
• Under the guidance of County Human Resources recruits and selects department personnel; assigns, directs and inspects the work of and supervises and evaluates assigned personnel; ensures the proper training is completed for personnel; recommends suspensions and terminations in conjunction with County Manager and Human Resources
• Researches and monitors state or local regulations and rules regarding library operations; develops long range plans and policies in conjunction with the Library Board of Trustees and County Administration
• Develops and submits departmental budget with assistance of Board of Trustees; justifies and defends budget requirements; negotiates for new resource requirements; oversees other funding sources such as grants or memorials; monitors and/or approves expenditures; negotiates purchase agreements with vendors; submits financial forms and reports as needed and/or required.
• Project coordination of E-Rate; grant statistical reporting and State library reports
• Responds to citizen’s complaints about library policy, procedures or County operations
• Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of the following:
• Principles, practices and techniques of modern library operations
• Types of reference works, literature, technical library publications and audio visual materials
• Books and authors; periodicals, reference media and library media
• Reader interest levels
• Cataloging procedures and problems
• Related North Carolina General Statutes; State Library regulations, services, collections and procedures
• Organization and functions of local government including budgeting and accounting procedures, planning and other related management practices and techniques
Demonstrated skill and ability in the following areas:
• Ability to manage and supervise a diverse group of personnel serving in all levels within the library system
• Skill in communicating and presenting ideas and information effectively in oral and written forms
• Skill in dealing tactfully and courteously with the general public
• Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with the County and Elected Officials; Library Board of Trustees and related library boards and foundations, business leaders, staff, patrons and the general public
• Ability to be innovative and creative with programming with limited resources
• Ability to adapt to changes and to present changes in a positive way to staff and the community
• Ability to follow through with recommendations and departmental goals and objectives
• Ability to develop and implement long range plans for the growth of programs, services and facilities of a County library system
• Ability to function independently and demonstrate sound judgment in decision making and directing the activities and operations of the County library system
• Ability to be an advocate for the public library system and to provide ongoing education to the general public with an understanding of library patrons and those requesting services
Required Minimum Training for Position:
Graduation from an accredited four year college or university and a Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited institution. Eight years of professional public library experience and six years of professional supervisor experience in a public library. Experience at the Director or Deputy/Assistant Director level is preferred. Experience in fiscal management, human resources, organizational structure, procedural development is required.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation for Position:
Must have or be eligible to obtain North Carolina Public Librarian Certification. Must have access to transportation and current driving record should show no more than three (3) points on record.
The successful candidate will be subject to a criminal background check.