POSITION TITLE: Youth Services Librarian
SALARY: $33,258 – $34,092, depends on experience/education
LIBRARY: McDowell County Public Library
SUPERVISOR: Library Director
CLOSING DATE: July 27, 2017
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Under limited supervision from the Library Director, the Youth Services Librarian is responsible for the planning, organization, and performance of all aspects of library service to children and young adults for all libraries in the McDowell system, in accordance with established policies. Essential job functions include programming, collection development, management of the Youth Services Department, patron assistance, outreach, and professional development.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK:
• Plans, prepares, and conducts storytimes for preschoolers.
• Prepares and presents special interest programs for school age children.
• Plans, prepares, and supervises summer reading programs for children and young adults.
2. Collection Development
• Selects and de-selects books and materials for children and young adults.
3. Management of Youth Services Department
• Maintains youth services records, statistics, and files.
• Recruits and coordinates time and duties of volunteers as needed.
• Stays within budget for books and other materials, and for programs and special performers.
• Is familiar with complaint procedures; documents and handles initial problems; refers these to the Library Director if necessary.
• Supervises or handles shelving duties for the department.
• Supervises the Young Adult Services Coordinator and Children’s Services Library Assistant.
4. Patron Assistance
• Performs reference duties for children and young adults as needed.
• Performs circulation desk duties as needed.
• Assists patrons with the computer public access catalog and other electronic resources.
• Assists youth in using the Internet for research purposes, and in using computer programs for report preparation.
• Assists children in using educational games and programs on the computer.
• Provides reader’s advisory services for children and young adults.
• Prepares bibliographies and other information for children and young adults.
• Provides the school Accelerated Reader lists for students from all county schools.
• Provides instruction on use of library materials.
5. Outreach and Public Relations
• Maintains strong working relationships with the schools and school library media coordinators.
• Effectively markets programs and services.
• Performs outreach services to special groups on request.
• Develops community contacts with local organizations that serve youth and their caregivers.
• Schedules and initiates advertising of children’s programs and activities.
• Presents information about children’s and young adult library services to individuals and groups.
• Develops displays and public relations materials.
• Conducts tours of the library and programs for school and other groups.
6. Professional Development
• Keeps current with children’s materials and services through professional journals, statewide initiatives sponsored by the North Carolina State Library, and North Carolina Library Association (membership is paid by the McDowell County Public Library).
• Attends area, regional and statewide workshops and professional meetings when possible or necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of child development and children’s and young adult literature.
• Problem solving skills for reference questions.
• Ability to prepare and present effective children’s programs.
• Strong written and oral communication and public relations skills.
• Familiarity with library procedures and materials.
• Ability to work independently.
• Computer and technology knowledge and skills.
• Good customer relations’ skills.
• Ability to bend, stoop, and to lift book bags up to 30 lbs.
• Ascending/descending stairs
• Grasping/holding/repetitive motions
• Pushing/pulling book cart
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
• Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS) or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Public library experience, preferably in children’s services.
• Computer experience, including Internet searching and Microsoft Office.
• Valid North Carolina driver’s license.
This job description is for illustrative purposes only and does not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREENING AND BACKGROUND CHECK ARE REQUIRED
APPLICANTS WILL BE GIVEN CREDIT ONLY FOR INFORMATION PROVIDED IN RESPONSE TO THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. No additional information will be solicited by the McDowell County; therefore, persons who submit incomplete applications may not receive full credit for their education, training and experience.
APPLICATIONS OPEN UNTIL: July 27, 2017
McDowell County is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the County to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals without regard to age, sex, race, color, religion, political affiliation or national origin. The County will interactively work with disabled applicants and employees to identify reasonable accommodations that will allow the individual to perform essential job functions.
McDowell County participates in E-Verify.
Applications are available:
• on our website:
www.mcdowellgov.com – under “Employment Opportunities”
• McDowell County Administration Building:
60 East Court St Marion, NC 28752
• Employment Security Commission:
316 Baldwin Ave Marion, NC 28752
Applications can be submitted:
• in person at the County Administration building:
60 East Court Street Marion, NC 28752
• or by mail to:
McDowell County Human Resources
60 East Court Street Marion, NC 28752
• or by email to:
QUESTIONS: Please contact Robbin Silvers, Director of Human Resources; 828-652-7121; firstname.lastname@example.org.