The State of North Carolina invites applications for the position of Youth Services Consultant.
JOB CLASS TITLE: Library Professional
POSITION NUMBER: 60083899
DEPARTMENT: Dept of Natural and Cultural Resources
DIVISION/SECTION: State Library
SALARY RANGE: $34,361.00 – $80,681.00 Annually
RECRUITMENT RANGE: $34,361 – $57,870
SALARY GRADE / SALARY GRADE EQUIVALENT: 74
COMPETENCY LEVEL: Advanced
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Permanent Full-Time
WORK LOCATION: Wake County
CLOSING DATE: 06/07/17 5:00 PM Eastern Time
This position is located at 109 E. Jones Street, Raleigh, NC.
The Department of Natural and Cultural Resources (DNCR) vision is to be the leader in using the state’s natural and cultural resources to build the social, cultural, educational and economic future of North Carolina. Our mission is to improve the quality of life in our state by creating opportunities to experience excellence in the arts, history, libraries and nature in North Carolina by stimulating learning, inspiring creativity, preserving the state’s history, conserving the state’s natural heritage, encouraging recreation and cultural tourism, and promoting economic development.
The State Library of North Carolina is the principal library of state government, with a mission to build the capacity of all libraries in North Carolina and to provide access to specialized collections for its residents. The State Library is comprised of three major programs: the Government and Heritage Library (GHL), the Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, and Library Development.
The Library Development section provides statewide programs, services and resources for the entire library community in North Carolina and works to fulfill the vision of the State Library of North Carolina in which all North Carolinians have access to exceptional services and to the information resources they need to achieve their personal, educational and professional goals.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
This position provides leadership, expertise, training, support and resources to North Carolina Libraries in support of youth services programming:
- Provides advice to library directors and staff on programs, services and resources focused on children and young adults.
- Supports public libraries’ development of their summer reading programs.
- Develops, manages, and implements statewide youth services initiatives.
- Develops both short-term and long-term approaches for statewide youth services programming; identifies tools and technologies that will improve service to NC Library youth communities; establishes standards for providing youth services programming and services
- Promotes and supports excellent library service through outreach and visits to libraries, representing the State Library around the State and at statewide and national meetings, conferences, and committees.
- Serves as the staff liaison to the Youth Services Advisory Committee
- Provides guidance to NC library staff on developing project concepts and preparing LSTA grant applications
- Occasional travel required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES / COMPETENCIES:
** To receive credit for your work history and credentials, you must provide the information on the application form. Any information omitted from the application form, listed as general statements, listed under the text resume section, or on an attachment will not be considered for qualifying credit. **
- Demonstrated 3 years’ experience with youth services and programming in public libraries
- Demonstrated experience designing and conducting workshops or training
- Valid NC driver’s license or eligible to obtain one within 60 days of employment
- Four or more years of professional librarian experience, of which two years are in a supervisory, consultative, or administrative capacity
- Demonstrated experience with early literacy initiatives
- Advanced coursework in child/adolescent development
- Experience with grant writing
- Excellent communication skills
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s degree in library and information science or a related discipline
- Equivalent combination of training and experience.
Degree must be received from appropriately accredited (ALA) institutions or regionally accredited programs in North Carolina.
N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
Division of Human Resources
4603 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4603
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY:
An Equal Opportunity Employer, NC State Government