The State of North Carolina invites applications for the position of Consultant for Public Library Management.
JOB CLASS TITLE: Library Professional
POSITION NUMBER: 60083898
DEPARTMENT: Dept of Natural and Cultural Resources
DIVISION/SECTION: State Library
SALARY RANGE: $34,361.00 – $80,681.00 Annually
RECRUITMENT RANGE: $34,361 – $64,219
SALARY GRADE / SALARY GRADE EQUIVALENT: 74
COMPETENCY LEVEL: Advanced
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Permanent Full-Time
WORK LOCATION: Wake County
CLOSING DATE: 06/07/17 5:00 PM Eastern Time
This position is located at 109 E. Jones Street, Raleigh, NC.
The Department of Natural and Cultural Resources (DNCR) vision is to be the leader in using the state’s natural and cultural resources to build the social, cultural, educational and economic future of North Carolina. Our mission is to improve the quality of life in our state by creating opportunities to experience excellence in the arts, history, libraries and nature in North Carolina by stimulating learning, inspiring creativity, preserving the state’s history, conserving the state’s natural heritage, encouraging recreation and cultural tourism, and promoting economic development.
The State Library of North Carolina is the principal library of state government, with a mission to build the capacity of all libraries in North Carolina and to provide access to specialized collections for its residents. The State Library is comprised of three major programs: the Government and Heritage Library (GHL), the Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, and Library Development.
The Library Development section provides statewide programs, services and resources for the entire library community in North Carolina and works to fulfill the vision of the State Library of North Carolina in which all North Carolinians have access to exceptional services and to the information resources they need to achieve their personal, educational and professional goals.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
This position provides leadership, expertise, training, support, and resources to North Carolina Libraries on management and governance issues:
- Provides consultation to library directors, local government officials, trustees, and friends’ groups regarding organizational and management issues.
- Serves as the in-house expert on library management and governance; aids other consultants in developing responses for public library staff and others; works with other Consultants on management-related programs.
- Interprets state and federal rules, regulations, and procedures regarding libraries, including LSTA and State Aid grant programs, to library staff, board members, Friends, government officials, and other individuals interested in library services.
- Serves as staff liaison to the NC Public Librarian Certification Commission; manages certification program activities and quarterly Certification Commission meetings.
- Conducts annual monitoring of State Aid eligible libraries to ensure compliance with all statutes, applicable state policies, rules, and procedures for the Aid to Public Libraries grant program.
- Develops, manages, and implements statewide initiatives.
- Represents the State Library at State and national meetings and conferences.
- Provides guidance to NC library staff on developing project concepts and preparing LSTA grant applications
- Travel will be required.
- Occasional night and weekend work will be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES / COMPETENCIES:
** To receive credit for your work history and credentials, you must provide the information on the application form. Any information omitted from the application form, listed as general statements, listed under the text resume section, or on an attachment will not be considered for qualifying credit. **
- At least 5 years’ public library management experience (i.e. Branch Manager, Department Manager, Senior Administrator)
- Experience communicating library policy decisions to stakeholders at the local and State levels
- Demonstrated knowledge of Federal and State statutes that govern library policies and operations
- Previous strategic planning experience within a library structure
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s License or ability to obtain one within 60 days of employment
- NC Public Librarian Certification or eligibility to obtain one
- Demonstrated management experience in a North Carolina public library
- Three or more years’ experience at library director or senior manager level
- Demonstrated experience with grant writing
- Demonstrated experience working with board of trustees, friends’ group, or other library partners to foster community engagement
- Excellent communication skills
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s degree in library and information science or a related discipline
- Equivalent combination of training and experience.
Degree must be received from appropriately accredited (ALA) institutions or regionally accredited programs in North Carolina.
N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
Division of Human Resources
4603 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4603
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY:
An Equal Opportunity Employer, NC State Government