Orange County Government invites applications for the position of:
Library Assistant II
SALARY: $14.29 – $18.85 Hourly, $29,725.00 – $39,217.00 Annually
CLOSING DATE: 04/27/17 11:59 PM
Orange County Public Library is seeking a 40 hour a week permanent Library Assistant II for its Main Branch Library in Hillsborough. The individual is the primary Adult and Teen Services desk staff person. Responsibilities include: staffing reader’s advisory and reference service desks, assisting patrons with reference needs, collection development, and computer technology troubleshooting. The Library Assistant II will also run the Interlibrary Loan program for customers.
In addition to strong interpersonal skills and excellence at written and verbal communication, the individual must be comfortable working in a shared work environment. A positive demeanor is essential, in addition to flexibility and a willingness to participate in various areas of the OCPL system libraries. The preferred candidate will have a background working with diverse populations, as well as a demonstrated commitment to public service and social equity.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
A position may not include all the work examples given, nor does the list include all that may be assigned.
Customer Service: Provides overall excellent customer service and assists patrons with various reference needs, including but not limited to: readers’ advisory, technology troubleshooting, and job seeking assistance.
Collection Development: Assists with collection maintenance in Adult and Teen division.
Division Support: Assists with programming, scheduling and supporting division projects; handles the Interlibrary Loan process for the library.
Office Duties: Compiles and records monthly and annual statistical reports for the division.
Library System-Wide Participation: May serve as the representative at monthly meetings of ad hoc OCPL teams and committees.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the Dewey Decimal system, Library of Congress subject headings, and standard cataloging practices.
- Knowledge of reference resources, including computer-based and automated systems.
- Knowledge of library collections and materials.
- Knowledge of the geography of the County.
- Skill in operating a personal computer and utilizing a variety of software.
- Skill in operating standard office and audiovisual equipment.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations.
- Skill in dealing with the public and interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
Assignments are accompanied by clear, detailed, and specific instructions. This position generally does not supervise other positions.
Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma and two years of related experience. Must possess, or have the ability to obtain a North Carolina driver’s license.
- Bachelor’s degree; Experience working in a public library setting.
- Ability to speak Spanish is preferred but not required.
Physical Activities for this position are indicated on the classification specification. Please see link below to review the activities
Library Assistant II
Please note once the link is accessed it may take a few minutes to launch.
Examples of physical activities required in this position:
- Typing on computer
- Shelving books
- Walking through library
- Pushing book carts
- Standing for long periods
Possible Hazards (chemicals, dangerous machinery, etc.)
Position-Specific Questions Contact Annette Greenway, 919-245-2534, email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Women/Minorities/Veterans/Disabilities