Posting Number: S00135
Executive Level: Institutional Research and Technology
Department: Library Services
Employment Type: Full Time
Position Title: Librarian
Location: Main Campus
Employment Contract Period: 12 Months
FLSA: Non Exempt
This is an entry-level librarian position. Librarians provide reference services, bibliographic instruction, cataloging, collection development, serial collection management, and processing for interlibrary loans. Work also involves creating, updating, and maintaining catalog records in the automated library system and preparing books, audio-visual materials, and other media (including eBooks) for cataloging. Librarians also serve as outreach librarians, supporting library services and resources across the College’s four-campus system and online, including Vance, Granville, Warren and Franklin Counties.
1. Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent and professional experience providing reference services, bibliographic instruction, and collection development in an academic library setting; any equivalent combination of training and experience which provide the required skills, knowledge, and abilities.
2. Experience providing interlibrary loan services, circulation services, and managing serials collections.
3. Excellent interpersonal skills in working with colleagues, students, faculty/staff, and other members of the VGCC community; a flexible team player who works comfortably in a dynamic library and academic environment.
4. Strong analytical and communication skills.
1. One year preferred experience working in the North Carolina Community College System.
2. Knowledge of emerging technologies in bibliographic/information literacy instruction and library outreach, along with a strong desire to share this knowledge with others.
3. Experience working with integrated library systems; knowledge of SirsiDynix’s Symphony system is preferred.
4. Established experience in providing reference services, and teaching information literacy instruction and technology training in an academic environment.
1. Duties may require intermittent light to moderate physical effort in carrying, lifting, or moving lightweight materials or equipment. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee must be able to climb on ladders.
2. Physical requirements include: frequent bending, standing, walking; continuous ability for speech communication and hearing in order to communicate with library users, vision for reading, recording and interpreting information. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
3. Mental demands require continuous ability for both oral and written communication; frequent problem solving and concentration; and occasional analytical ability and creativity. Frequent hand/eye coordination to operate personal computer and office equipment.
1. Assists students, faculty, and staff with academic research and general reference inquiries, both in person and online.
2. Assists at the circulation desk as needed, including aiding library users in locating library materials, reference services, and other required services and duties.
3. Meets with program heads and instructors on a regular basis (at least yearly) to weed collections and determine what books and other resources will need to be purchased during the year in support of individual programs. Keeps detailed records of these meetings for planning purposes and for reporting to SACS. Supports the process of weeding the library’s collections and the sale or disposal of all discarded materials.
4. Provides information literacy and bibliographic instruction to students, faculty, and staff in both face-to-face and virtual learning environments.
5. Makes regular visits to library locations at South, Franklin and Warren County campuses to keep collections updated and to assist library staff at those locations.
6. Manages interlibrary loan services for the Main Campus. Processes both lending and borrowing requests, initiates bills to borrowing libraries for overdue and damaged items, tracks usage statistics and user survey data.
7. Maintains the Serials Collections with the assistance of the Library Assistants at each campus; this includes the addition and deletion of titles, claiming missing issues, reporting duplicate issues, and removing back issues from the Main Campus’ collection.
8. Participates in collection development for the Reference and General Collections; also assists with the selection of online databases.
9. Performs copy cataloging of various materials as assigned.
10. Participates in management of the library’s online resources including LibGuides (online research guides), social media tools, and database access.
11. Provides written weekly status reports on projects and assigned duties.
12.Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Library Services.
Salary Range: $31,056 to $34,932 Yearly
Open Date: 03/20/2017
Close Date: 05/19/2017
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Interviews may begin prior to the position close date.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Vance-Granville Community College is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Please describe your experience working in an academic library.
(Open Ended Question)
Please tell us about a difficult situation that you have faced in your professional career and how you solved that problem.
(Open Ended Question)
Please describe a situation where you took on added duties or showed initiative to solve a problem.
(Open Ended Question)
Cover Letter/Letter of Application
For More Information Please Contact:
Tanvi Goel, PHR
Human Resources Specialist
Vance-Granville Community College