Closing Date/Time: Fri. 04/07/17 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Hiring Salary Range 33824-54976
Salary: $16.26 – $26.43 Hourly
$1,300.92 – $2,114.46 Biweekly
$33,824.00 – $54,976.00 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Library, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
The purpose of this position is to provide an outstanding library experience for all customers.
Do you strive to provide an outstanding experience for your customers? Are problems an enjoyable challenge or puzzle to tackle? Do you like to stay organized and able to quickly find something? Do you have experience in library cataloging or processing? This full-time Library Specialist position in the Acquisitions and Collections Division of the Chapel Hill Public Library may be for you!
In addition to being detail-oriented, the ideal candidate is friendly, flexible, engaging, and enjoys working with others. S/he is excited about change and learning in a dynamic environment and discovering new ways of working. The person in this position creates and places orders, receives and prepares invoices, performs copy and original cataloging, and may perform some processing of library materials. As part of one of three divisions of the library, s/he may be asked to assist in other tasks as well.
All of this is in support of the Chapel Hill Public Library’s mission to spark curiosity, inspire learning, and create connections in the Chapel Hill community. CHPL is a user-centric organization dedicated to excellent customer service and continual improvement.
Typical schedule is 8:00am-5:00pm M-F.
* Provide outstanding customer service in person, on the phone, and online. Initiate contact with customers, provide helpful, friendly, knowledgeable service, take ownership for completing transactions & resolving problems, communicate effectively.
* Help customers discover materials, both in house and online. May include checking in/shelving materials, processing collections, merchandising collections, creating written content, etc.
* Help people navigate library services. May include in-depth assistance with patron registration and accounts, cataloging materials, placing orders, resolving semi-complex problems with library equipment and services, providing specialized instruction or training, etc.
* Assist with library and/or Town programs, promotions, and initiatives. This may include leading a story time, coordinating a book group, assisting with launch of new service, contributing to social media, sharing in-depth knowledge of particular library systems, collections or operations with other staff, serving on a library or TOCH committee, etc.
* Performs other tasks as required.
Work may require the direction of volunteers or interns.
The work is performed sitting, standing, walking, squatting, reaching, and bending. The employee uses equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity. May require lifting 10-15 pounds.
The work is typically performed in an office environment.
* Town and Library policies and procedures,
* Library materials and availability,
* Online resources,
* Microsoft Office suite,
* Desktop PCs and mobile devices.
* Positively interact with a diverse clientele,
* Interpret and communicate library policies and procedures,
* Accomplish detail-oriented tasks,
* Solve problems and make sound decisions.
* Model and demonstrate the Values of RESPECT.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
An equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
Minimum of one experience in a customer service environment required. Library or bookstore experience preferred. One year cataloging or processing experience preferred.
Certification & Other Requirements
Town of Chapel Hill Human Resources Department, 919-968-2700,