TITLE: Reference & Instruction Librarian
LIBRARY: James Addison Jones Library, Greensboro College
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Studies from an institution accredited by the American Library Association (ALA).
- Minimum of 1 year of instructional experience.
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal.
- Ability to prioritize projects and strong problem-solving skills.
- Good research skills and attention to detail.
- Flexible schedule (able to provide services in the evening and on weekends as needed).
- Strong knowledge of instructional design and skill with educational technology.
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability to change.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to be self-directed as well as work effectively and collaboratively with others in a team.
- Two years of library work experience in a professional capacity requiring relevant skills and abilities.
- Knowledge of and experience with ACRL’s Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education as a tool of instruction and assessment.
- Provides online and on-ground instruction on the research process, information literacy, and the use of print and electronic resources to undergraduate and graduate level students, especially in liaison areas.
- Serves as library liaison to academic departments as assigned.
- Coordinates and schedules library instruction in cooperation and collaboration with the Director of the Library.
- Develops instructional materials such as LibGuides, videos, online tutorials, and interactive learning tools.
- Work with the Library Director on the design and implementation of tools that measure the effectiveness of library services and instruction.
- Provides reference service and oversight of the front desk as required.
- Collaborates with the Library Director in developing library collections, with particular focus on departmental liaison areas.
- Develops and documents policies and procedures for access to both print and electronic collections.
- Assists the Director and other library staff in designing online resources that facilitate access to the library’s collections.
- Plans and oversees, in consultation with other library staff, the arrangement and maintenance of all library physical collections.
- Assist in the maintenance of the collections as required; including the shelving of materials, maintaining orderly book and periodical collections, and assisting in weeding the collection.
- Assists the Director of the Library in training and managing part-time, non-student assistants.
- Assists in the supervision of library student staff as needed.
- Assists the Director of the Library in maintaining the library’s patron database.
- Constructs, schedules, and runs statistical and other reports from the library’s ILS as needed.
- Assists with Interlibrary Loan as needed.
- As a faculty member, maintains a flexible schedule, including some evening and weekend hours, to accommodate student and departmental needs. This may include working more than 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week during some times of the academic year.
- This position has the same responsibilities for the development of the profession, participation in college governance, and community service as a member of the teaching faculty.
- Participates in developing and documenting library policies and procedures.
- Directs and/or participates in various projects and other responsibilities as assigned.
- Works some night and weekend days in rotation, providing reference service and supervising library operations during that time.
- Represents the library at appropriate internal and external meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
AVAILABLE: After April 17
APPLY BY: Open until filled
Send cover letter and resume to:
Will Ritter, director, James Addison Jones Library
***No phone calls, please.***