Are you passionate about digital libraries? Looking for a great job to help grow your technical skills? The Government & Heritage Library at the State Library of North Carolina is seeking an innovative, collaborative Systems Support Librarian! Consider joining our team!
For complete listing and a link to the application, please go to: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/northcarolina/jobs/1683205-0/systems-support-librarian
Please be sure to complete the application in full. Resumes may be uploaded with your application, but will not be accepted in lieu of a fully completed application and will not be considered for qualifying credit. “See Resume” or “See Attachment” will NOT be accepted and will render your application incomplete. If you experience technical issues submitting your application, please call the NeoGov Help Line at 855-524-5627.
Systems Support Librarian
17-02498 ADM 60083825
Recruitment range: $34,361-$51,970
About the Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
The Department of Natural and Cultural Resources (DNCR) vision is to be the leader in using the state’s natural and cultural resources to build the social, cultural, educational and economic future of North Carolina. Our mission is to improve the quality of life in our state by creating opportunities to experience excellence in the arts, history, libraries and nature in North Carolina by stimulating learning, inspiring creativity, preserving the state’s history, conserving the state’s natural heritage, encouraging recreation and cultural tourism, and promoting economic development.
The State Library of North Carolina is the principal library of state government, with a mission to build the capacity of all libraries in North Carolina and to provide access to specialized collections for its residents. The State Library is comprised of three major programs: The Government and Heritage Library (GHL), the Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, and Library Development. The GHL provides services and information related to North Carolina government, history, demographics, statistics, and cultural heritage, including genealogy. It is the permanent repository for state agency publications and collects, preserves, and provides public access to current and historical state publications in print and digital formats. The GHL consists of two units, Content and Information Delivery (reference, access, education and outreach, and digital information management services), and Content Management and Access (cataloging, collection development, State Publications Clearinghouse, and acquisitions).
Description of Work
The NC Government & Heritage Library (GHL) seeks an enthusiastic, innovative, and detail-oriented Systems Support Librarian to support the GHL’s work to preserve and provide access to information about North Carolina, especially the publications of North Carolina government.
As part of the Content and Information Delivery Services branch, the Systems Support Librarian:
• Represents the Library and collaborates with the State Archives of North Carolina, NC LIVE, and others on joint projects
• Assists with ongoing, iterative maintenance and updates to online projects, ensures accuracy of external links, and performs quality checks
• Participates in library digital activities including digitization, digital content management, and website archiving
• Provides in-person and virtual customer assistance, including participating in weekly shifts at the Reference Desk, and includes occasional Saturday work
• Participates in packing, unpacking, moving, shifting, and shelving library materials or boxes of library materials, so this position requires the ability to pick up a 40 lb. box of materials to place it on a cart or hand truck to be moved
• Works with special collection materials (e.g. 19th century books), so exposure to library collection materials containing dust or mold is likely
• Leads or serves on functional and cross-functional teams as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
**To receive credit for your work history and credentials, you must provide the information on the application form. Any information omitted from the application form, listed as general statements, listed under the text resume section, or on an attachment will not be considered for qualifying credit.**
Qualified candidates must possess:
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of current practices, policies, and trends in library and information science as they relate to digital and special libraries/archives.
• Experience working with content or digital asset management systems (such as Drupal, WordPress, CONTENTdm)
• Experience with website editing or management, including HTML and CS
• Ability to build & sustain effective working relationships with peers & colleagues; work independently & as part of a collaborative team; and perform & coordinate multiple, concurrent work assignments
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing and demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical issues to a variety of audiences
• Demonstrated ability and desire to learn new tools/skills to further enhance access to information
• Experience with jQuery; Linked Data; usability testing, and in training peers or end users
• Experience as a library or information professional in the area of digital libraries, web services, or library systems and technology support
• Demonstrated experience providing exceptional customer service to internal and external customers
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Master’s degree in library and information science or a related discipline
An equivalent combination of training and experience