SALARY: $43,844.00 – $56,998.00 Annually
JOB NUMBER: 6110-00110
CLOSING DATE: 02/03/17 11:59 PM
Performs intermediate professional work overseeing public service areas in the public library system, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Library Director. Continuous supervision is exercised over subordinate library personnel and volunteers.
Within established system policies and procedures, the Head of Youth Services directs and supervises personnel, programming, and patron services of the Onslow County Public Library Youth Services Department. The staff member in this position plans and implements traditional and non-traditional/innovative children’s programs and services along with introducing new technologies into Youth Services programs and activities. Besides supervising the planning and implementation of young adult programs and services for the Jacksonville Library, the Head of Youth Services assists in the planning and implementation of Youth Services programs and services for the Swansboro, Sneads Ferry and Richlands Libraries.
Other responsibilities of the position include the selection and evaluation of children’s and young adult materials in order to develop/maintain vibrant collections designed to meet/exceed the needs and expectations of the surrounding communities. Serving as a liaison between the Library and community groups and schools is also a responsibility of the Head of Youth Services.
Some evening and weekend work will be required.
• Assisting in the supervision of public service areas in the library.
• Develops and implements age-appropriate programs, outreach, and classes for library patrons.
• Performs cataloging of print and digital media using MARC format.
• Assists in the development and implementation of operational policies and procedures.
• Evaluates and purchases library materials; assists with collection development and inventory maintenance.
• Provides patrons with customer service and assistance with library resources.
• Answers patron questions and resolves complaints.
• Evaluates staff performance; takes personnel action and implements disciplinary actions; counsel staff regarding
• performance and employee personnel policies.
• Performs departmental orientation and staff training.
• Compiles data, prepares reports, and maintains files.
• Performs assigned functions as a Disaster Ready Team (DRT) member, if appointed or volunteer.
• Performs related tasks as required.
Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of modern library operation; thorough knowledge of reader interest levels; thorough knowledge of library reference, adult, children’s and other library services; thorough knowledge of library system computer applications; thorough knowledge of library reference materials and research techniques; ability to analyze records and statistics and compose reports; ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment; ability to communicate ideas effectively both orally and in writing; ability to work well independently and
collaboratively in a team environment; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library customers and associates; ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Master’s degree in in library science from an ALA accredited college and moderate experience in supervision of subordinate personnel, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
QUESTIONS: Please contact Kellie McQueen-Ka’u, Human Resources Analyst, Kellie_McQueen-Kau@onslowcountync.gov; (910) 937-1363.